Know how to save money on dental treatments
If you've ever had to make an unexpected and unplanned trip to the dentist for an emergency, you know how expensive dental treatments can be - even when you have dental insurance. Understanding how to save money on dental treatments is an important part of having and maintaining a personal or family budget. These simple techniques can not only save you money in the long run, they can significantly improve your dental health now and in the future.
1. Get regular checkups and cleanings: Part of good dental hygiene is keeping on top of your oral health before problems can arise. Getting a regular cleaning followed by a fluoride treatment can reduce the risks of dental emergencies going forward, and can help you and your dentist identify potential problems before they become disasters or emergencies. Regular cleanings can remove plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth before they can turn into cavities or gum disease.
2. Practice preventive dentistry: In addition to a regularly scheduled cleaning every six months, preventive dentistry can catch problems early before they become emergencies. Regularly brushing and flossing your teeth and getting regular checkups and cleanings can eliminate a lot of oral health problems before they have the opportunity to begin, and identifying problems early can eliminate expensive treatment plans down the road. If you are prone to gum problems have your teeth cleaned every three months to help avoid more expensive gum treatment such as surgery.
3. Have digital, low exposure x-rays taken when advised. Most insurance plans offer coverage for x-rays at least once a year. These x-rays can identify problems early, minimizing the possibility for damage that goes undetected for years, leading to further damage and problems. Be open with your dentist, and have your dental provider explain any potential problems that the x-rays may bring to light. Digital x-rays screen for decay between teeth and show the level of supporting bone.
4. Understand the expensive treatments: Most of the time, expensive dental treatment plans are a result of poor oral hygiene that has built up over time. By seeing your dentist regularly, a lot of these expensive options can be avoided because you and your dental provider are on top of problems as they happen - and they don't have time to become more severe.
5. Ask about an in office dental plan: Our Gettysburg Dentist office offers an in office, members only, discounted dental plan. While not exactly dental insurance, it can save considerable money on checkups and treatment without the red tape and hassle of dental insurance.